Thursday, February 18, 2010

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile

Around this time of the year, with midterms lurking around the corner, and the grey snow still hindering our walks to classes, it becomes difficult to find something to smile about. It becomes much easier to gripe about professors, or roommates, or the food, or a number of other things. For me, sometimes it becomes very hard to find even something positive to think about. Even though, there are millions of things to be thankful for. Starting with the fact that we're receiving a higher education, we're living in above average living conditions compared to the rest of the world. We have access to technology, which we can use for so many different things (my favorite is skyping with family!). Just thinking about some of these things brings a smile to my face.
With just a simple search I found 10 health benefits to smiling! Now I won't list them all, a few I found especially intriguing are; lowered blood pressure, released serotonin and a natural pain reliever, boosts your immune system, and my personal favorite, it's contagious. Without saying a single word you can pass all these benefits to another person, even a stranger, talk about a quick fix. I found all this information on about.com, written by Dr. Mark Stibich. Even the notable LiveStrong campaign has written about this topic (http://www.livestrong.com/article/18859-health-benefits-smiling/) listing some of the same benefits as the article mentioned above.
So to quote Mcdonald's commercial slogan from the 90's "Put a smile on, put a smile on, everybody come on! And put a smile on!"

2 comments:

  1. Very good relative info. I agree in thinking that we are all starting to feel the stress of life right about this time. It is important to know the benefits of being able to smile on a day to day basis. I liked how you started the article with info relative to our lives and backed it up with some factual information. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this article. You are right, this time of year is always a rough one. We just want to see the sun! I also liked how you supported your opinion with the benefits of smiling. Thank you for reminding me what is really important in life, and to always smile.

    ReplyDelete